Ever wondered about the nutrition in almond milk? With people becoming more and more concerned about what they eat and drink, there is a new product on the market that has been given a lot of attention lately. It is almond milk.
With people opting for vegan and lactose-free options, almond milk is seen as a healthier alternative to cow’s milk. But before you adapt to it, is it not important to know the nutrition in almond milk and its benefits?
Nutrition in Almond Milk
Since almond milk is made from almonds and water, the nutritional value of almond milk remains almost the same, just a little lower, than that of almonds. They have vitamin E (35 percent of daily value), magnesium (20 percent of daily value), calcium (8-9 percent of daily value) and potassium (5 percent of daily value), riboflavin (20 percent of daily value), about 1 gram of protein (in one cup) and 4-5 grams of fiber. One cup of almond milk contains about 40 calories and 3 grams of fat. Calories in almond milk depend on the brand and added sweeteners.
Benefits of using almond milk:
1. Firstly, almond milk is not a dairy product and is lactose-free. More and more people are identifying the signs of milk allergy and are becoming lactose intolerant. Almond milk is a great substitute for regular cow’s milk. With specific diets like vegan diet and gluten-free diet entering the picture, almonds provide a few great products that are perfect substitutes. Even though the nutrition in almond milk is not as great as regular cow milk, it works well in dietary plans.
2. The fat content is very limited in almond milk. When you compare it to regular milk, it is way lower. Hence, all those who wish to lose weight and yet not give up on their daily morning coffee or smoothies can easily opt for almond milk. Most of the almond milk brands load their products with nutrients, too. Hence when you compare almond milk with regular milk, the calories to nutrient ratio is better in the case of almond milk. One point that you must remember is that the nutrition in almond milk does not remain the same for all brands and hence you must be cautious enough to check the label.
3. The nutrition in almond milk also helps prevent prostate cancer. A study was conducted and it revealed that the nutrition in almond milk had the power to slow down the growth of cancer cells. This was done with respect to normal cow’s milk and soymilk and almond milk came out as a winner.
4. Almond milk is super easy to make. It is the perfect substitute for milk when you run out of it. For this, you will require 2 cups of almonds, about 6 cups of water and a blender. You will have to soak the almonds in water overnight. The next day, you will have to remove the skin and keep it aside. Put the almonds and the water in a blender and blend it thoroughly. Once you are done with that, strain it through a fine cloth, say, for example, a cheesecloth. The drained out liquid is almond milk. It is that easy. You can add in flavours too, like strawberry, vanilla, to make yourself some flavoured almond milk.
5. The nutrition in almond milk is to be remembered. It is low in phosphorus and potassium and high in vitamin E. Further, to meet the calcium content of regular milk, calcium doses can be added to the milk, as well.
Some important points that you need to know about almond milk:
The unsweetened and unflavored almond milk can be used as a substitute for milk in almost all recipes. It can be stored easily and cannot be frozen. Almond milk has many benefits with a delicious nutty flavor and hence attention must be paid to its application.
Those with nut allergies must not consume almond milk as the main constituent of it is almonds.
You can easily include almond milk in your diet. You can drink it as is, or use it for your tea or coffee. It can be used for smoothies, baking, sauces, and even ice cream. It is popularly used to make gluten-free desserts that you can have and it will come as a shocker but it genuinely enhances the taste.
Though regular almond milk has fewer calories as compared to regular cow’s milk, checking the label is very important. Sweetened almond milk may end up having more sugar and calorie content. Hence, those who wish to choose this path must be aware of the additives.
One must check for the presence of GMOs and carrageenan when purchasing almond milk. Both of these are really detrimental to one’s health and hence must be avoided at all costs.
Hence, one must remember that nutrition in almond milk, though very different from regular cow’s milk, has its own health benefits and must be considered when trying to lead a healthier lifestyle.